Pages

March 26, 2012

Vito's Ordination Song - A Masterpiece by Sufjan Stevens



I wanted to post about Vito's Ordination Song, which I have been listening to recently. The song is slow, but it is very deep and significant. Take time to listen to it. I included the song and the lyrics below, as well as my reflection on the song.

Vito's Ordination Song - Sufjan Stevens

I always knew you
In yout mother's arms
I have called your name
I have an idea

Placed in your mind
To be a better man
I've made a crown for you
Put it in your room

And when the bridegroom comes
There will be noise
There will be glad
And a perfect bed

And when you write a poem
I know the words
I know the sounds
Before ou write it down

When you wear your clothes
I wear them too
I wear your shoes
And your jacket too

I always knew you
In your mother's arms
I have called you son
I've made amends
Between father and son

Or if you haven't one
Rest in my arms
Sleep in my bed
There is a design
To what I did and said.


Thomas Vito Aiuto is a friend of Sufjan Stevens', and is a reverend at Resurrection Presbyterian Church in New York. So it seems reasonable to assume that the song has to do with Vito's ordination, and can have religious undertones.

Sufjan's song reminds me of Psalm 139, which illustrates how God knows and loves us.

The psalm and the song are so beautiful and comforting. The first part of the song can be interpreted as God talking to us as a father, who has known and loved us from the beginning.     

My favourite part of the song is when Sufjan sings ''And when you write a poem / I know the words / I know the sounds /Before you write it down.'' 

I can relate these lines because I have been writing poetry since I was very young. 

Poetry is unlike any other literary genre.  Dennis Gabor, who received the 1971 Nobel Prize in Physics, once said : ''Poetry is plucking at the heartstrings, and making music with them.'' 

Poetry seems to be the purest literary expression of human emotions. It is  fragile and vulnerable because it uncovers the hidden thoughts and reflections of the human heart and mind. 

This poetry of ours--our hidden emotions, pains and ideals-- is known of God, and cherished by him. Thinking that I am so intimately known is intimidating, but it is also very thrilling and fascinating. Very humbling, but also comforting and appeasing.

The last paragraph gives a wonderful picture of God's fatherly love: 

I've made amends
Between father and son
And if you haven't one
Rest in my arms
Sleep in my bed
There is a design
To what I did and said

God offers us rest and peace.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...